Tuesday, March 1, 2011

So You Think You Know Someone

I am 36. I have 4 children. I don't work outside the home. I am married to an assistant pastor.

That is who I am. But it isn't all of me. You probably wouldn't want to know all of me. As a matter of fact, there are few people who truly know what is rolled up into the package of me and still love me.

To be honest, how many of us want to know all of someone? I mean the deep heart issues that belong to a person and make them who they are.

People who know me and want to know me make me smile and laugh and cry and enjoy life. We click, mesh, walk together through the mire and mud of every day and understand that sometimes there won't be hearts and roses. Sometimes there are briers and thorns that hurt, and hurt bad.

I know that it is not even remotely possible to know very many people in this manner. The very thought of knowing too many people intimately fries my brain. I couldn't give all af me to everyone and take all of everyone else. To begin with no one has that kind of time or energy, but I don't believe that is what God asks us to do at all.

I do believe that God asks us to have that kind of spirit! The spirit that could know anyone intimately and still love them. His Son had it and we are suppose to emulate who He was. I really think that is what unconditional love is all about.

Are you too good for someone. I have been too good for people before. I think I still find myself at times stumbling into that net and batting my way out after I come to my senses.

Has anyone ever decided to share something with you that made you gasp and feel the urge to get them some counseling if they would let you? Oh, I sure can remember times when I made that mistake.

I have also decided on many occasions not to share my questions, concerns or problems with even people who love me dearly because of what may happen when I do.

My question is, should we as Christians approach everyone we ever come in contact with, with the idea that they are to be loved unconditionally, accepted without accusation, and befriended in honesty?

Do we approach everyone this way? How in the world is that even possible, if it is even possible?

People are people. But sometimes we don't expect people to be people. We expect them to be god-like or saintly, maybe even angelic as they live their daily lives. We think that they are perfect. And we find it hard to love them any other way than what we see them as.

Sometimes we expect them to be horrible, awful rotten sinners. And we love them in word but maybe not in deed. We do our charity work for the month for their sake, and then we can dust our hands off after we are done with that mess.

The way I see it, we are all trying to find our way in this world and some people have it easier than others, and some people have it harder. We are all just here together. How are we supposed to deal with each other?

I have come to the realization that I am just this vessel that God made, and so are you, and so are they. It isn't my job to fix everyone's cracks and if I try to do that, I will never truly know anyone intimately.

I am commanded to love, have joy, be peaceful, be patient, be gentle, be good, be humble, be self-controlled. I am reminded to be tender-hearted, forgiving and kind. I am taught to bear the burdens of others and not to judge the decisions that others make. If perchance, I desire to admonish someone, than what better way to be in a position to do that than to be an intimate friend of theirs. In Christ, we are supposed to be brothers and sisters, and I can tell you something you already know: Brothers and sisters know each other very intimately.

I have no idea where to end. I barely knew how to begin. I just know that I want to be loved and understood as much as the next guy, and the next guy wants that too. It's what we need and what usually ends up curing a lost and forlorn soul-the spirit of unconditional love. As the children of God, that should be what we are to others.

7 comments:

Cup of Joe with three sugars said...

Love this blog entry, Beth. I truly think as we get older and walk in the Lord longer, we begin to see this more and more... being like Christ, not judging, seeing someone through the eyes of Christ. Easy to say, hard to do. Recently I had to put a book down because of the ugliness of the sin that broke my heart to read about. But Ive since picked it back up and prayerfully worked my way through it...asking God to give me the heart to love others and be able to be open to what God wants to teach me. (Its by a Christian author) It would have been easier to put the book down and turn away, as it is easier to turn our back to those who we deem as having sin to ugly to face. It takes courage to be open in love to others, and Im still praying that God helps me find that courage. Thanks for the glimpse of your heart. Love you!

a joyful nusiance said...

Lovely post. I think it's impossible to know everyone intimately. But we should show love to everyone. (even those ones that are so stupid we just can't stand ;) )

I think just to work on the fruit of the spirit in our own life is hard and if we focused on that then we would turn our focus away from other people.

I know you and still love you.

Carol Lea Ashmore said...

You are revealing your heart and being "transparent." You do go into deep thought and express it very well. The older you grow the more you will see and experience life that will adjust your thinking once again.

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! I do have to admit that I have found things out about people that has made my stomach turn and caused me to avoid them for awhile. Then I take a deep look into myself and realize that I am just as human and could easily make the same stupid mistakes if I wasn't careful. It is only through God's strength and grace that I haven't. Anyway, I love how open and honest you are about things. I wish you could blog more but I understand why you can't. Take care and God bless!

Unknown said...

Ha,ha...I was logged in underneath my husband's name. This is Sarah K. not Tim. ;-)

Tancy Griffin said...

I love you even if I know how horrible you are ;)

great post

Ann with an E said...

Thanks for your comments. :) It is so great to get feedback. I think it is one thing that keeps us bloggers going. T and J, you guys have been my inspiration!!! And mom, I know I can always count on you!! Of course, Jess, you have always been there for me behind the scenes. I really miss you girl! Then I saw Tim and had no clue who it was. But Sarah K., I have to apologize to you because I can't for the life of me figure out who you are and I am probably going to smack myself when it dawns on me! But thanks for your encouraging words anyhow. :) I am so very very very blessed with wonderful people in my life that I do NOT deserve. Thank you!