Friday, August 3, 2007

The Story of My Life

We're in the chip aisle at Wal-Mart, all six of us! I hear something behind me, turn around and see a man, average height, rotund, adorned with a mustache, and long, curly hair hanging out from beneath a ball cap. Standing behind our two carts, where my husband and son also stood, he wore an unpleasant expression on his face and my heart sank. It looked as though my husband had said something to him because he too had a look, only more startled than unpleasant. The man pushed passed us and mumbled under his breath, "You need to keep your kids in line."

He kept walking and I stared at him, wondering what we had done that was so terrible and I yelled down the aisle, "Do you even have kids?"

Again he mumbled, avoiding eye contact, "Yeah, and mine know how to behave."

"What, they're perfect? You never had a bad day?"

I was beginning to get angry at this point, and with his back turned to us, while he briskly walked away, he stated smugly, "Just get your free food and get out of here."

Something broke in me. I once again screamed down the aisle, "My husband works very hard for us so we can have what we need!"

He turned the corner and was gone.

I do not know what happened in the next few moments, except that I was a bit shaken and I did not want to shop anymore. Next thing I know my husband had left me alone with the three boys in the chip aisle, and I stood there for a long time with them as my mind whirled. I was mad that he left me because of how I felt, but as I began to venture around the corner I ran in to my husband who again looked a little off.

"I was getting myself in touble."

"What?" I asked.

"I went and asked him what it was we did to upset him."

My husband proceeded to tell me that he asked them to move four times until he finally said "Get the f- out of my way!"

Apparently neither my husband or my son heard him and my daughter who was sitting in one cart was holding on to the other cart so my son was having trouble pushing past them.

I was mad. All those feelings seem to come back when things like this happen. The last time I went to Wally world, my kids were perfect-seriously. Tonight they were a bit roudy, and fidgety, but certainly not horrible. I was hurt. All the guilt flooded my heart once again. I don't do this right. I make so many mistakes. My kids CAN be horrible sometimes.

I wanted out of the store, but knew that we needed to get some groceries. When we decided to go to the store together tonight, I had only planned on spending about $80 but ended up spending $130. I didn't keep track: I just felt like a zombie.

I think I am over it now. I console myself with the thought that a man who treats others the way we were treated could not have had perfect kids! What do you think?

9 comments:

mom2mine said...

WHAT A JERK!!!!!!

That is about all I can say when I am wearing this hat!

skinny minny said...

Sounds like a jerk who was having a bad day and took it out on those around him. I have no kids and don't usually get two carts but have been known to not hear someone and block the entire aisle all on my own. I guess what I am saying is it wasn't you or your kids it was him and his own world of junk ( being polite there).

a joyful nusiance said...

Since Tancy has my hat, I can say what everyone else is thinking.......JACKASS!! (not you btw :) him, he was totally out of line!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Beth! What a jerk! I have had similiar things happen to me and if my husband had been there...he would have gone to jail for physical assault! We live in an anti-child society...people always get annoyed or pity me for having "SO" many children. People...get over it! None of us our perfect, but we do love our kids and we do try to raise them right even if we WEREN'T given the tools to do so by our own parents! I do want to say, too, that the guy was probably as lost in his heart as it gets and needs the Lord. Aren't we all so wicked and just need Christ to change us. Still, no excuse for a guy to treat anyone that way, lost, saved or otherwise. I can imagine though, his mom or dad obviously didn't think much of him as a kid. Anyway, I love ya' Bethy and you sure handled it better than I would have.

Yer sis

The Beard Bunch said...

Hello, Beth! It is your California cousin :) I just wanted to let you know that I found your blog (and your other blog, too). As a side note, Wal-mart can often be one of the worst places to take any more than yourself. Pretty sad, huh! I am leaving a message on your other blog also. Good to check in on you. Michelle

Ann-Marie said...

Beth - I'm SO sorry you had to go through that! Thinking of you! :-)

Halfmoon Girl said...

I try to remind myself that those types of people hurt themselves more than others if they don't have grace- maybe they have never experienced it themselves.

I have promised myself that I will show compassion and understanding to young families in grocery stores when my kids have grown. Sometimes I feel like snapping and saying, "What are you complaining about- you get to walk away and shop in peace- i have to stay here and deal with the screaming child!"

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

marshan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.